Calvary is a representative of God’s greatness on the earth. We follow Jesus, who fulfilled the word of the prophet Isaiah and declared His purpose in Luke 4 as “18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released, that the blind will see, that the oppressed will be set free, 19 and that the time of the Lord’s favor has come.” Therefore our mission and purpose can be summed up in 4 words: Freedom, Faith, Friendship, and Follow!
1.) We will proclaim Freedom:
- John 8: 31, 32 – 31 Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. 32 And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
- John 8: 36 – 36 So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free.
- Galatians 5:1 (NASB) – It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.
2.) We will walk by Faith:
- 2 Corinthians 5:7 – 7 for we walk by faith, not by sight—
- Romans 3: 27,28 – 27 Can we boast, then, that we have done anything to be accepted by God? No, because our acquittal is not based on obeying the law. It is based on faith. 28 So we are made right with God through faith and not by obeying the law.
- Hebrews 11:6 – 6 And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.
3.) We will declare Friendship:
- John 15: 14, 15 – 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. 16 You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. 17 This is my command: Love each other.
4.) We will intentionally Follow:
- Matthew 16: 24 – 24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me.”
- John 8: 12 – 12Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.”
- Acts 4: 11,12 – 11 For Jesus is the one referred to in the Scriptures, where it says,
‘The stone that you builders rejected
has now become the cornerstone.’
12 There is salvation in no one else! God has given no other name under heaven by which we must be saved.”